Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Maryann : (11 December 2014 - 05:17 PM) Congrats to our boy on his Golden Globe nomination today
@  sanderella : (01 December 2014 - 09:56 PM) It's much easier to follow without the intrusive adverts, but the story is difficult to follow. I'm an old lady living in an old country in a quiet town, nothing like LA. Will watch episode two soon. :/
@  sanderella : (01 December 2014 - 09:49 PM) Watched episode one of Donovan on my Kindle. Liev is such a good actor, and his co-actors very good, too.
@  Seph7 : (16 October 2014 - 06:20 PM) So sorry all! I'm back though!
@  sanderella : (19 September 2014 - 06:51 PM) I have seen clips of Donovan, and I can't understand a word of it. Wish they put subtitles on American shows. :)
@  Maryann : (15 September 2014 - 04:08 PM) doing great and keeping up with him on Ray Donovsn
@  ROGUEFURY : (15 September 2014 - 12:17 AM) Holy moly it's been ages since I've logged in and been a Liev-phile lol how's everyone doing??
@  Maryann : (03 September 2014 - 08:47 PM) found a couple of clips from Kelly and Michael, they don't put the clips on you tube
@  Seph7 : (01 September 2014 - 07:35 PM) Really hate that I can't watch that stuff!
@  Maryann : (29 August 2014 - 08:17 PM) He will be on Live with Kelly and Michael 9/3
@  Maryann : (25 August 2014 - 09:27 PM) remember he is a presenter on the Emmys tonight
@  Maryann : (20 August 2014 - 05:52 PM) renewed for season 3!!!!!!
@  Maryann : (31 July 2014 - 09:08 PM) I'm trying to keep everything up to date
@  Seph7 : (29 July 2014 - 01:23 PM) I really need to get my arse in gear! Been missing the updates...
@  Maryann : (21 July 2014 - 02:58 PM) Week 3 clips are up
@  Maryann : (14 July 2014 - 03:21 PM) Next week clips are up
@  Maryann : (13 July 2014 - 06:02 PM) RAY DONOVAN TONIGHT!!!!!!!
@  Maryann : (11 July 2014 - 02:21 PM) today show clip is up
@  Maryann : (06 July 2014 - 11:01 PM) just added 4 Ray Donovan clips, Happy I get my You Tube email daily
@  Maryann : (02 July 2014 - 03:08 PM) Guests have been announced for NBC's "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" for the week of July 7.

July 11: Guests include Liev Schreiber, Rob Reiner and Gabriel Iglesias.

Photo
- - - - -

Liev Schreiber's Conflict With His Dad Helped Him Build Ray Donovan Character

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Maryann

Maryann

Time Traveller

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • LocationOak Lawn, Illinois

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Liev Schreiber's Conflict With His Dad Helped Him Build Ray Donovan Character

by WENN | 22 August 2013

Posted Image

Picture: Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts - New York Premiere of Lee Daniels' 'The Butler' - Arrivals - New York, United States - Monday 5th August...

Liev Schreiber had no problems finding inspiration for his new father-hating character in hit Tv drama Ray Donovan because he has a love-hate relationship with his own dad, who kidnapped him from his mother when he was three.

The actor has opened up about his relationship with his beatnik father and eccentric mother in the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine, revealing his odd upbringing prompted him to seek out a therapist 20 years ago.

And now he's analysing his relationship with his parents again as he portrays a gritty Hollywood fixer, who despises his convict father, played by Jon Voight, on Tv.

He says, "(My father's) kind of a Cat. This guy comes from a very wealthy family, and my mother raised me on welfare for 10 years.

"Any man who is not there wholeheartedly for his child is not so masculine to me."

He backtracked in a later email to the reporter, writing, "I love my father and have gone through dark periods in my life where I mistakenly focused anger on him."

The actor's mother, Heather, tells the publication that her ex-husband "never did much" to support his son after she won custody of the boy after his father took him to live with his family in Pennsylvania after their marriage broke down.

However, Schreiber insists his father has "always been desperate to be in my life" and helped finance his education.

But he still has mixed emotions about his parents and hazy memories of his childhood.

The actor tells Rolling Stone, "I don't want you to talk about s**t like this because I'm in therapy for it... I started to have these little anxiety attacks that I wasn't remembering things.

"We've been tracking this thing about the kidnapping, and he (therapist) said, 'That must have been terrifying for a little kid'. And I'm like, 'Well, I don't know. I don't remember anything!' But I must have been terrified. You would think that would make a kid grow up scared, but I actually grew up kind of fearless in a bad way, like I didn't sense danger. Something shut off in me."

But he's beginning to worry about his terrible memory and the fact he hasn't dreamed for years.

Schreiber believes his issues are linked to a psychological coping mechanism - but they lead to blackouts when he's on talk shows and moments when he can't actually do anything.

He tells Rolling Stone, "It happens to me a lot, and I'm starting to worry. I just can't think. I can't remember anything. I can't formulate sentences.

"It happened to me on television the other night... I was looking at the monitor and I was thinking, 'Oh, this is funny, I'm enjoying this right now. Where am I?'"

#2 Seph7

Seph7

Co-founder & Long-time Liev Lover!

• Global Admin
  • 2,394 posts
  • LocationNorth West, UK

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

A true testament to the fact that parents, often unknowingly, always manage to screw you up.

This Be the Verse
By Philip Larkin

They f*ck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.